As soon as the sun starts shining each year, it’s time to get your patio in shape. Our simple but effective tips on how to spring clean your patio are guaranteed to get it looking as good as new – you’ll be desperate to get out there with a good book and a glass of red!
Clear the weeds
Weeds are an eyesore. Whether tiny stragglers or big bushes, they look tatty and will make your patio uninviting.
• Scraping them out by the root with a kitchen knife is simple yet deadly effective.
• Strimming with a garden strimmer is only a temporary fix as the weeds will soon resurface.
• Weed killer can be used, but apply sparingly and not on a windy day when it could blow on to other plants.
A thorough clean with a stiff broom will make a world of difference.
• Lukewarm, soapy water is all you need if the dirt is fairly minimal.
• If your patio hasn’t been cleaned for years, or if there’s moss or algae present, you’ll need to use a patio cleaner, preferably an eco-friendly one.
• Hose clean any excess dirt, apply according to instructions and gently scrub to remove stubborn dirt. Hose down and give a final sweep with a broom to leave your patio looking instantly cleaner.
• If your patio is really dirty, consider hiring or buying a pressure washer to give it a deep clean. But be careful – excess water pressure can damage paving, lift the mortar and cover you in patio filth!
And once you’ve finished, take a look at any broken slabs or any crumbling pointing. Replace these and you’ll help keep weeds, moss and algae at bay, and make your patio last an awful lot longer.